The Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA), which operates and manages Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) and Willow Run Airport (YIP), is continuing to work with its federal partners, airlines and tenants to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
- Detroit Metropolitan Airport and Willow Run Airport remain open and continue operations.
- In accordance with Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order, face coverings are required in DTW’s terminals and must be worn by workers and passengers, unless they cannot be medically tolerated. Per the Executive Order, any business that is open to the public must refuse entry or service to customers who refuse to wear a face covering, with limited exceptions. The CDC does not recommend face coverings for children under the age of 2 or those who otherwise are unable to remove the covering without assistance.
Many airlines are requiring face coverings while on their aircraft. Please check with your airline for the most up-to-date policy.
Please contact your airline for specific delay and cancellation information.
Suspended Programs & Services
The following programs and services are temporarily suspended:
Tram service in the McNamara Terminal
All Delta Sky Clubs, except for the Delta Sky Club located in the McNamara Terminal across from Gate A38
Airport Ambassador volunteer program
Valet service at the McNamara Terminal
Playport in the North Terminal
Ground transportation options may be limited.
- The Freedom Centers in the McNamara Terminal and North Terminal are open with limited hours. Snacks and supplies are being provided at the entrances. The lounge areas are closed.
COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
Check out the FAQs page to discover what to expect during a visit to DTW.
Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order has lifted many restrictions on bars and restaurants. As dining locations at Detroit Metropolitan Airport begin to reopen, there may be limited hours and menu items. Some shops and restaurants will remain closed temporarily. The concessionaires and the airport are striving to make essential products and services available, while protecting the health of the traveling public and employees. Below is a list of open concessions.
The following concessions are open at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, as of September 21, 2020.
Food & Beverage
|Air Margaritaville (Dining Area)||CNBC News Smartshop|
Detroit Street Café
The Detroit News
|National Coney Island||Today|
|World Duty Free|
Food & Beverage
|Cat Cora’s Taproom (Dining Area)||CNBC News Smartshop|
Illy Espressamente & Fountain Bar
|Leo's Coney Island||Johnston & Murphy|
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
Potbelly Sandwich Shop
The Body Shop
Sora Japanese Cuisine & Sushi Bar
The New York Times
|World Duty Free|
|Z Market & Mills Pharmacy|
Focus on Wellness
The Wayne County Airport Authority has implemented additional steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Requesting employees and passengers wear face coverings and practice social distancing by staying 6 feet away from others.
- Increasing the frequency of cleaning in the McNamara Terminal and North Terminal, concentrating on “touch points,” such as door knobs, water fountains, handrails and toilet seats.
- Postponing or canceling community engagement activities, including educational tours and the annual Arbor Day celebration.
- Adding hand sanitizing stations in areas that passengers and airport employees can easily access throughout the terminals.
- Continuing to provide checkpoint bins treated with antimicrobial technology that kills or slows the growth of bacteria and viruses.
- Reminding passengers and workers to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations via signage and public address messages in the terminals.
- Providing WCAA employees with face coverings.
- Encouraging businesses that operate at DTW to provide face coverings to their employees.
Detroit Metropolitan Airport is one of the U.S. airports selected by the Department of Homeland Security to facilitate COVID-19 screening of passengers. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have implemented enhanced screening procedures. Information about the screening process and travel notices can be found on the CDC website.
Tips to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommends:
A news release about the Airport Authority’s response to COVID-19 is available at https://www.metroairport.com/about-us/dtw-news/wayne-county-airport-authority-implements-additional-changes-address-covid-19.
More information on the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/prevention.html.
The CDC explains the importance of face coverings and how to make coverings at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html.
Information from the State of Michigan regarding travel can be found at https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98810-524189--,00.html.
Customer service information is available throughout this website. Important links and phone numbers can also be found on the Airline Directory page and the Contact Us page. Questions may be submitted at the bottom of the Contact Us page.
The Airport Authority will continue to take proactive steps to keep customers, stakeholders and employees safe. This page will be updated as changes occur at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.